Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Cheese Plate Assortment

I don't have a Costco card. Sometimes, I think I may be the only one on the planet who doesn't carry the little red and blue photo ID card that admits you and a guest into a warehouse of the masses. Do I really need a flat of 25 Yoplait yogurts? Or the two oversized boxes of Cheerios shrinkwrapped together? As a minimalist, the Costco Way is a little too big for me. But that doesn't stop me from using their cookbook. Yep, it's called Favorite Recipes the Costco Way and it's one of my second shelf books. It's free from Costco and you have to be there at the right time to get one. I got mine from my mother who does not understand why I don't shop by the gallon or case with a grocery cart made for a giant.

You might expect that the recipes call for a long list of ingredients to serve a big crowd. That would be the Costco Way, wouldn't it? On the contrary, the recipes are elegant and the servings are to a normal proportion (4-6 on average). Of course most of the main ingredients you can get at Costco and the book helps you with brand recommendations (nice advertising for them). I noted the brands in this recipe, but don't let the brands scare you off. You can get the ingredients (any brand) at practically any grocery store.

Last week, I made the Cheese Plate Assortment. I've always wondered how to make a good cheese plate. What cheese goes with what? This recipe makes it easy with a combination of hard and soft cheeses. Serve it at your next summer cocktail party. It even makes a nice light dinner with a salad and bread. For presentation, I garnished the brie (white cheese) with rosemary and the gouda (yellow cheese) with thyme. I also got creative with my dishes. I used an overturned bowl to create a pedestal for the blue cheese.


Cheese Plate Assortment

HARD CHEESES
8 0z Aged Gouda
8 oz Spanish Manchego
8oz English Blue Stilton

SOFT CHEESES
10-12 oz Delice de Bourgogne Triple Creme Brie
8 oz Formaggio Marinated Fresh Mozzarella Balls

Crackers or fresh bread (I used an olive bread from the farmers market)

Fresh or dried fruits and nuts (I used dried cranberries and a can of mixed nuts)

  1. Bring all hard cheeses to room temperature by removing from refrigeration 1-2 hours before serving. Arrange wedges on a cheese plate. A piece of slate or marble, a serving tray or a cutting board will also work.
  2. Approximately 30 minutes before serving, remove the soft cheeses from refrigeration. Arrange on a cheese plate.
  3. Serve with crackers or bread. Garnish with fresh or dried fruits and nuts. Makes 8-12 servings.
TIP: A well-assembled cheese plate can be the perfect appetizer before a casual dinner with friends, or a perfect complement to the desert course at a formal dinner. A combination of hard cheeses and soft cheeses will make a great cheese plate. To distinguish hard cheeses from soft cheeses, press lightly with your thumb - hard cheese hold no mark.

No comments: