Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Mexico Mornings: Cafe Lechero

I recently took a trip to Merida, Yucatan, where seventy-eight percent of the population is Catholic. I am also Catholic, and during this Lenten season, I gave up my daily dose of caffiene at one particular place that is too close to home: Starbucks. I thought this would be easy in Mexico, but low and behold, there are two Starbucks in Merida (not to mention a Wal-Mart and a Home Depot!). But I remained faithful, as I was introduced to the most succulent of coffee drinks. At the end of Paseo de Montego on Calle 47 is El Gran Cafe where they serve Cafe Lechero.

Oh. My.

Although Cafe Lechero has only two ingredients, espresso and steamed milk, it ends up as three layers of creamy heaven served in a Collins glass.

The waiter at El Gran Cafe serves a shot of espresso with a glass of hot, steamed milk.

Next, the espresso is poured in the cloud of milk as you watch the chemistry take place:


The next time I sit down with a Cafe Lechero, I will be writing a letter to Howard to let him know exactly how it's done!

No comments: